How to Help Your Child Have Healthy Teeth and Gums?
Posted by McConnell Dental Care on Mar 28 2022, 04:03 AM
Dental care is imperative for anyone and everyone, irrespective of their age and gender. Dentists recommend taking care of the teeth even before the teeth have erupted. While adult dental care is relatively easy to adhere to, parents often struggle with their child’s dental care.
In this article, our experienced team at McConnell Dental Care in Stansbury Park, Utah, shares some simple yet effective tips to help you take care of your kids’ teeth and gums.
How to Take Care of an Infant's Mouth?
At this age, the baby's teeth are hidden under the gums, so you cannot use a toothbrush. After feeding your baby, use a soft sterile damp cloth to wipe and clean the baby's gums.
Importance of Baby Teeth
Baby teeth pave the way for adult teeth by creating the spaces they need. Additionally, they aid in:
- Proper chewing and biting
- Making communication easier
- Forming the proper shape of the baby’s face
Why Are Baby Teeth More Prone to Cavities?
Jams, candies, and chocolates are kid favorites. But what do they have in common? Sugar!
Children love to eat sugary foods. Therefore, their teeth are more prone to plaque buildup and cavities.
This makes it all the more important to take care of their teeth. Teach your kids to clean or rinse their mouth after every meal and brush their teeth twice a day to prevent dental problems in the long run.
Parental Tips for Children’s Dental Care
- Always use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste about the size of a rice grain for toddlers and pea-sized for children above the age of 3.
- When at least two of the teeth touch each other, you should also begin flossing.
- Always supervise your kids’ brushing regime and instruct them to spit the toothpaste after brushing. Start with one minute and go up to two minutes of brushing.
Some Fun Tips for Your Child’s Brushing Schedule
- Go toothbrush shopping with your kid. Ask them to choose a brush in their favorite color to make them more excited to use it.
- Play their favorite video or cartoon for two minutes while your kid brushes his or her teeth.
To learn more about helping your child have healthy teeth and gums, contact McConnell Dental Care at (435) 249-0482 or visit us at 263 Country Club Dr #102, Stansbury Park, UT 84074.